Wednesday, May 19, 2010

That thing I keep talking about...

I keep talking to people about my list of favorite people ever. So I thought I'd make that list out, just for kicks and giggles.

Keep in mind, there are some people I know personally who are also on this list. Some even know they're on this list. But I'm not gonna put them on this one right now for two reasons. One, because I'm almost guaranteed to forget someone, and that would be sad. And two, because there are people, as lame as it is, who would be offended at not being on this list. I shall therefore stick to the famous people who are on my list.

There are several qualifications for being on this list. Being hot or beautiful is not one of them, although most are anyway. To get on this list you either need to be fantastically good at what you do (acting, singing, etc) OR have an amazingly cool/funny personality that sets you apart from the majority of other hollywood peeps. Or both. Most are both. In fact, with these particular people I should think it's rather obvious which are which.

And here it goes (in no particular order) the people who are on my "List of Favorite People Ever":

Alan Rickman
Maggie Smith
Idina Menzel
Kristin Chenoweth
Whoopi Goldberg
Lucille Ball
Bette Midler
Jaimie Lee Curtis
Queen Latifah
Johnny Depp
Dawn French
Jennifer Saunders
Julie Andrews
Jeff Dunham - well, not him so much. Mostly his puppets Peanut and Achmed.
Bernadette Peters
Bill Cosby
Robin Williams
Mary Wickes
Ellen Degeneres

Yes, it is a rather shorter list than you probably expected. This is also for two reasons. One, It's almost guaranteed that I forgot someone. If I think of someone after the fact, I'll try to remember to come in and add them. And two, because they can't be favorite people ever if everyone is on it. That's just a fact of life.

Here's a bit of a breakdown, in case you're curious. There will be duplicates, because some are just super mega awesome.

People who are on this list for being so hilarious I shed tears while watching them. Just briefly thinking about stuff they've been in makes me smile:
Robin Williams
Bill Cosby
Kristin Chenoweth
Dawn French - Wow. I can't even glance at french and saunders pics online to find one to post without serious tears of laughter.
Jennifer Saunders
Jeff Dunham
Whoopi Goldberg
Bette Midler
Ellen Degeneres (wow... when Robin williams was on the Ellen show... there are no words.)
Lucille Ball

People who, in interviews as well as in their movies, seem(ed) to have really awesome solid personalities (this is nearly all of them):

Idina Menzel
Kristin Chenoweth
Lucille Ball
Bette Midler
Jaimie Lee Curtis
Queen Latifah
Johnny Depp
Dawn French
Jennifer Saunders
Julie Andrews
Bernadette Peters
Bill Cosby
Mary Wickes

There are a few where it's harder to point out all of the reasons why I like them so much (mostly because there are just too many cool things about them). I just do. That is all.:
Mary Wickes
Maggie Smith
Alan Rickman
Johnny Depp
Bernadette Peters
Lucille Ball

Ones I like because of their amazing musical talents/rocking some of the coolest musical roles (I know they've been in other stuff, but I'm listing my favs.):

Julie Andrews - voice in general. So cool. But mostly Mary Poppins and Sound of Music.
Idina Menzel - Wicked. (duh). And her recent Glee feature. wow.
Kristen Chenoweth - Wicked, & ALL her Glee covers.
French and Saunders (oddly enough) - as master music spoofers. That's just important. Who knew that someone could sound and look like so many different people? That and the Jennifer Saunders 'I need a Hero' cover.... dag.

Bette Midler - Hocus Pocus! Yes! Well, and Wind Beneath my wings. Clearly a great song. But Hocus Pocus... Never will a greater ridiculous classic be created.
Queen Latifah - I love her singing in Hairspray. Love.
Bernadette Peters - Everything ever. I can't say that enough. But mostly Into the Woods and the newer Cinderella.
Ok, I don't really remember Mary Wickes for her singing as much, but she was in Sister act, so I thought I'd give a shout out. Oh, speaking of which, whatever that girl's name is that played sister Mary Roberts, Amazing voice. She SO should have followed up on that. Too bad she never did.

People who are cool because of certain awesome messages that they try to send out:

Queen Latifah - Not a small lady, but gorgeous, awesome, and proud of it.
Bill Cosby - actively trying to get young people to stop being bums and deadbeats, and take charge of their lives.
Dawn French - again, significantly shorter than Queen Latifah, but not a small lady. She is really active in working to get people to be less focused on the shallow, and to pay attention on what's inside.
Kristin Chenoweth - she's surprisingly religious and not afraid to talk about it. We might not believe all the same stuff, but I really applaud someone who's not afraid to stand up for what they believe in.
Jaime Lee Curtis - she talks a lot about how aging is a natural human thing that happens, and how you don't need to botox, and surgery-ize yourself to have value as a person.

K, there's one more division here. But this one covers everyone on the list. It's the "Because they're just dang awesome at what they do" list. Whether they're great at being funny, or great at every acting role they've ever done, or great at singing, or WHATEVER. Everyone is on this list because they're just that good. So I'm gonna re-put the list here at the end, so it's easy to see. All of these people are amazing. Hence their placement on my awesomest people ever list.

Alan Rickman
Maggie Smith
Idina Menzel
Kristin Chenoweth
Whoopi Goldberg
Lucille Ball
Bette Midler
Jaimie Lee Curtis
Queen Latifah
Johnny Depp
Dawn French
Jennifer Saunders
Julie Andrews
Jeff Dunham
Bernadette Peters
Bill Cosby
Robin Williams
Mary Wickes
Ellen Degeneres


No comments: