Sunday, January 27, 2019

Down Once More

I just realized that the last several posts are all about very similar things. But it matters, so I’m at it again two years later.

Today I read a comic, and it make a profound point that I think is incredibly important. Here is the comic:




Thiiiiiiiiiiis

The 'girls are bad' message happened to me too. Boy stuff was inherently admirable, and girl stuff was acceptable for girls only, and even then only because they were girls and couldn’t help it. But if they could strive to be a tom boy then at least they could borrow a few boyish traits and be temporarily elevated from lowly girl-ness.

I used to make fun of my sister’s pink nightgowns because of this. I used to actively disparage people who liked Baby-sitter’s Club instead of Goosebumps, and thought I was better because I didn’t stoop to all that.

I never played a female character in a game, either computer or tabletop, until I was 27. Even then, it happened largely by accident. And it wasn’t because of anything like dysphoria or orientation. It was simply because boys were cooler. There was nothing exciting or admirable about playing a girl. I was actively disgusted by such a silly thing. 

And if that can happen to me, who had a perfectly acceptable excuse to watch girl stuff, just IMAGINE WHAT THIS WILL DO TO BOYS. 

End rant. (Except not really because I’m definitely gonna never stop hammering this fact until it's nailed into every single head.)

No comments: