Sunday, January 8, 2012

Revenge of the Vampire Teeny-bopper: Part 2

Part 2:

“It’s not big deal, okay.”

“Eddy, you stormed out of math class in a murderous rage yesterday. That isn’t nothing.”

“I... it’s just... alright, look. I was jealous.”

“Jealous? Of what?”

“Of him. Mandy, I’ve been in love with you for a long time. And when you said you’d go on a date with him...” He trailed off and shrunk into his chair.

“Well,” She said calmly, “that’s definitely not what I was expecting.”

“Well, now you know.”

“Why didn’t you ever tell me?” She asked. He tried to look away, but she grabbed his chin and steered him back, just as she’d done hundreds of times.

“I was scared. I didn’t want to complicate things. You’re still my best friend, whatever the case. But, I dunno, I just couldn’t. I was going to though,” He added quickly, “I really was. I had it all planned out. But I knew how you felt about valentine’s stuff, so I was gonna tell you today instead. I guess I did, but it wasn’t exactly how I planned.”

She leaned back and thought for a few minutes before she replied.

“I don’t know how I feel about you.” She said at last. “I mean, I love you as my best friend. I always will. But love, love? I’m not saying I don’t. But I’m not saying I do either.”

Eddy relaxed a little, as though he had been worried that she’d get offended.

“I suppose a date is in order.” She said with a smile. “There’s no way of knowing, without trying it out.”

He smiled, and relaxed all the way. “Good. Great. Um, yeah. Tonight?”

“You know I’m going with Jason tonight.”

“But-”

“But what, Eddy?” She gave him that knowing look. “Jason deserves just as much of a chance.”

“But there’s something wrong with him!” Eddy leapt from his chair.

“Getting possessive and angry is NOT helping your case.” She folded her arms and glared at him.

Eddy looked shocked, but backed down and sat, still glowering. “Sorry. But it’s true. Just google it.”

“I am not going to google him just because you’re jealous.” She said.

“No really.” Eddy got quiet and very serious. “Just do it. Type in ‘Maverick Family’. Please, just as a favor for me.”

Mandy rolled her eyes and swivelled her chair to face the desk. “Fine.” She said. “But not because I’m worried. And not because you’re right. But because you are paranoid, and won’t leave me alone about it until I do.”

She typed in ‘Maverick family’ and hit enter.

“Read the top ten results out.” Eddy said.

“Number one,” She said with false patience, “Maverick: gas station franchise. Two, Maverick gasoline. Three, vampire killers. Four...”

She did a double-take. Vampire killers? How on earth did that end up as the third top result?

“What else?” Eddy said, not sounded nearly as surprised as Mandy was.

“Four: Gas stations. Five: Vampires. Six: Vampires. Seven: oil spill. Eight: Vampires. Nine: vampires. Ten: vampires.”

She leaned back and rubbed her eyes. There is was, in black and white. Six of the top ten results were about vampires. Killer vampires in 2012. Then she shook her head.

“So what?” She said in her most solid tone. “There’s lots of mavericks in the world. And there’s no such thing as vampires, whatever google says.

“Vampire killer doesn’t always mean the undead.” Eddy said mysteriously, and then he left.

Mandy didn’t know what to think. He was right there. Sometimes creepers and psychos liked to play vampire. And google’s top results aren’t there just on a whim.

“This is ridiculous!” She said out loud. “There are no such things as vampires, and Jason Maverick is not a psycho killer on the run.”

But she had only known him a short time.

“Curse you, Eddy.” She yelled out the door, though she knew he was long gone.

That was all she needed. Strange, creepy ideas weirding her out while she was on her date.

No comments: