Sunday, May 27, 2012

Open Letter to Scott Westerfeld

Dear Scott,

I hope you know that I blame you entirely. Your offense? Puppet-mastering my emotions.

Leviathan was good. Behemoth was barking insane. And Goliath had me violently pounding my head into my pillow and curled up in a fetal position clear to the last chapter.

When birds start chirping outside your bedroom window, that's usually a sign that you've read for too long. I tried to stop. I did. But I was utterly helpless. Completely.Totally. Absolutely.

6:50 am, Scott. 6:50.

Perhaps you should include a warning:

Caution: contents may induce obsession and severe anxiety. 

For crying out loud, I've been thinking in a Scottish accent for a week. And saying things like "Barking spiders!"

All I can say is that I am everlastingly grateful that the trilogy is already finished. If I had read Behemoth and then had to wait, I'd probably be stalking your house. Preferably with a storm walker or a fighting bear, but a shotgun would do just fine if worse came to worse.

In other words, well done, man. Well. Done.

Sincerely,

Reader-whose-life-can-finally-return-to-normal (Maybe)

No comments: