Friday, July 27, 2012

Answer to the apple question

For those of you who were wondering what the debate was with that apple-to-zombie thing, here it is. (The image is at the bottom, in case you missed it before.)

Barbara insists that the humor is entirely from the play on the saying "one bad apple ruins the bunch."

I insisted that very few people would look that deeply into the whole thing, and that the humor came purely from the cuteness and amusingness of an apple turning into a zombie and chasing the other fruits away.

For the record, I was right. Everyone who answered on the debate said these things:

"it's funny because the apple turns into a zombie. and faces on any inanimate object just makes it better and cuter."  - Michelle


"I found the faces on fruit extremely charming and loved the apple zombie. What seemed to bother me more than anything was that apple and clementine happy as clams next to the dead apple... I doubt I could be as cheery next to a corpse."  - Ashlie


(Agreed on that ^, btw. I'd be a little weirded out too, if I was that clementine.)


"That made me smile and laugh out loud. I liked the progression of the zombie apple." -  Julie


"Definitely a zombie apple. It's so sad!" - Elizabeth


"That was funny! Poor little Apple left alone, dies, and becomes a zombie destroying the happiness and lives of other fruit."  -  Allison


"He's a zombie apple, although I had no idea fruit had brains so my only conclusion is that after eating his fellow fruits he got a taste for human brain or decided to enact his revenge for never being eaten by killing humans and eating their brains."  -  Alicia


"It's so funny because fruit is disgusting and gross, and no one would eat it unless they were forced to. So even though he chased them down and killed them for being jerks (and for being gross and disgusting fruit), he still ended up eating artificially-flavored fruity candy at the end."  -  David


The closest Barbara got to a point for her side was this one:


"I know that over ripe fruit put off an enzyme or chemical that causes other fruit to ripen and "die" faster than normal so it might appear that a fruit is dead but its really not, its really a zombie trying to kill all the other fruit."  - Sarah


Which honestly still doesn't count, because even though it's the same idea, it isn't about the play on the words. In fact, if I were going to choose a play on words at all, based on these answers, I'd definitely go for the "misery loves company" option. 


Anyway, the point is that I win. Within the scope of our poll, more people thought it was funny because it was an apple turning into a zombie when it died. And an apple turning into a zombie is funny. 


1 comment:

Christine said...

Now all we have to so is find the creator and ask why he made it... I'm willing to bet you'd win again.