Monday, March 19, 2012

Meh.

Dear Everyone,

Sometimes I'm a jerk.

Don't all of you nice, benefit-of-a-doubt types come in and start saying "oh, no you're not. You're so sweet!" (You know who you are. I've had this discussion with a few people.)

That's what makes you nice, of course. Your ability to not see what a jerk I can be when the fancy strikes me. And I appreciate your niceness. And your trying-to-make-me-feel-better-ness.

But you're not helping.

Telling me I'm totally fine and sweet and lovely when I'm not is just making it harder for me to improve. So please don't. I have to accept my jerk-ness before I can fix it.

And here's the truth, plain and simple:

If you think I'm sweet and nice, it's only because I actually like you. Of course I'm nice to the people I like.

But I say hurtful things a lot. And half the time it's because I wasn't thinking about how mean it sounded. That's one of my biggest failings. Not thinking before I talk.

So, to everyone out there in the digital and real world, I've probably said something mean about you at some point in our knowing each other. I'm sorry. Don't hate me.

-Me

No comments: