Sunday, April 11, 2010

Weddings and all that jazz

Weddings. One of those things that so many people do. And everyone wants theirs to be perfect. And everyone focuses completely on the WRONG part of the thing. *Facepalm*

This post is inspired by multiple people I know who are currently planning weddings, and finding it to be a heinous, stressful chore. *shakes head*

Most girls talk about their wedding long before they're even dating someone. They pick out their colors, and what kind of dresses they want, and where they want to have it, and all sorts of stuff. They talk about bridesmaids, and music, and presents, and honeymoons, and just about everything under the sun. So by the time a guy dates them and proposes, there's not much left that she hasn't thought about. You'd think this would make the actual planning much easier. But I say Nay nay.

The girls I know who are like this usually end up having their wedding day be the most stressful day of their lives. To me this would seem like kind of a step backwards. A complete annulment of the point. After all, it's supposed to be "Their Day". You know how the mom is always like "oh, honey. It's your special day!" But it's just not. It's always the bride who's the most stressed, the most tired, and the most ready to just have it be over with.

Why is this?

Like I said, people focus on the wrong part. They focus on the ceremony. The celebration. The physical stuff. I mean, don't get me wrong. It's not a bad thing to have a fancy dress, or a big reception. It's not wrong to pick out colors or bridesmaids or have a nice cake. But when those are the things you obsess over instead of the fact that you're marrying the love of your life, then THAT'S when turns the day into a nightmare.

Especially if you want everything to be perfect. Because they just aren't going to be perfect. Nothing ever is. And sometimes it's the imperfect parts that make it the most memorable or fun.... Unless you get wedding OCD and stress and cry and freak out that it didn't go your way. Then it just stays as a bad memory instead of a hilarious story for later.

The important part to focus on is not the actual wedding event. It is what the wedding is all about. You're getting married to your best friend. You're about to promise each other lots of important things. You're about to change the whole rest of your life for the awesome. But people lose sight of that way too easily.

Now that I've said that, I just want to make a little note. I fully intend to have FUN on my wedding day. Seriously. I also fully intend to plan my reception and everything the exact same way I planned my last birthday party. We're gonna have a cake, and some icecream, and a truckload of chips and dip. Put them on the table, play some music, and say "Let's party!" Ok, my reception's planned.

You think I'm kidding. You think, "well, just wait till it actually happens. Things will be different." Oh really? Give me your address and I'll send you an invite whenever in the future this happens. Because I am SO not kidding. I don't even care if there's streamers or balloons or anything. Cake, people, and a fabulous new husband are all I care about. I intend to look back on my wedding day and say "well, that was fun, let's do it again!" (not the marriage part, obviously, but the party). I refuse to have a day where I have to look back and say "glad that's over".

PS. This pic is pretty much the coolest wedding cake I've ever seen. And yes, it is actually cake. AWESOME.

That is all.

No comments: