Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Keep on Walkin'

So, this song-writing thing was an adventure. (If you don't know what I'm talking about, go here.)

The first problem I came up against was what to write about. This is hard because 90% of songs out their are either about love, losing love, avoiding love, not having love, unrequited love, why someone doesn't deserve your love, or partying.

I honestly don't know anything about love. I mean, I know things about it, but writing stuff like that seemed pretty silly when I've never actually been there myself. And I definitely did not want to write about a party. Boring.

The second problem was knowing what I was doing. I may play the guitar more than I play the piano, but my guitar playing is not actually good by any means. Neither is my knowledge of music theory. Therefore, the song I wrote had to have these qualifications:
  • It had to be simple enough for my pitiful guitar skills.
  • It also had to be simple enough for my pitiful singing skills.
  • It had to be about something. Half the songs I listen to nowadays don't even make sense. Which is stupid.
Eventually I made it. And using only 3 different, quite simple chords to boot. Which is awesome. I had to record it as proof that I did. But I'll need to make a few apologies before you watch it.

I'm sorry for the awful singing. But it was the only way to show how it's sort of supposed to sound. I know the song isn't like super awesome, but it's better than my singing gives it credit for anyway.

I'm sorry for messing up a few times. Believe it or not, this was like the 30th take, and was the most complete, least flawed one.

I'm sorry that everything about the movie and the song are pretty ghetto. The only recording equipment I have is a basic video camera and a tripod. And also, most of the video was done in like an hour of time. So I wasn't really working hard on it. I was just sort of going with it.

With that said, I also want to mention that, as I was writing this song, I had a conversation with my friend Audrey. She's been having a rough time with lots of things lately. I decided that I wanted to finish this song for her.

So Audrey, even though this isn't radio material or anything, and even though I'm not very good at this, here's to you. I hope you start having things go a little better for you.



Oh, and in case anyone actually cares, yes, everything in this video is original material. As if you couldn't tell that all on your own. :P ;)

2 comments:

Anna said...

Wow, I didn't know you were a song writer! We are impressed. We listened to it and Torbin fell asleep. Maybe it'll be his new lullaby. :)

Jennifer said...

the guitar was good!

yes yes.