Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Social Experiment part 4: Persuasion

First reaction: Very confused.
Second reaction: There's an awful lot of extended "longing glances" shots.
Third reaction: Once I finally understood the plot, it was pretty alright.

The reason I picked this one is because I've had several people tell me it's their favorite Jane Austen. In an attempt to give her credit for something, I figured it would be safe to choose this one.

Also because I literally didn't know anything at all about it, and getting into a story completely fresh would be a good experiment.

The book is probably much clearer. Some time I'll get around to it. Maybe. And I didn't hate the story. It just took me half the movie, very literally, to figure out what was going on. It wasn't until about the 20th longing glance that I realized that the captain must have been who she was in love with those years ago, which I only knew about because I read the back of the dvd box. It wasn't immediately apparent from the movie on its own.

Props to Jane Austen, though, for continuing to write the most despicable supporting characters. Anne's family is absurd. The most annoying of them all, thus far. Every time they came on the screen, I cringed a little. The movie was well casted, in that regard. They did a great job of making me despise them.

Oh, and clarification, I expect there are several movie versions. I saw the one with Fiona Shaw in it as the admiral's wife. (The lady who plays Petunia Dursley in the HP movies).

This one <=

Anyway, I don't really have a whole lot to say on it. It would have been better if I knew what was happening during the whole movie. But once I figured it out, it was alright. That's about it.

No comments: